My son loves this cake. It's an 8" square cake, and we think it's best served warm, with the chocolate chips still soft on the top. It is -very- fudge-y and almost demands to be served with a glass of milk. Or vanilla ice cream on the side.
This recipe does not double well - the chocolate chips sink into the batter if you try to make a double batch in an 11" x 13" pan. If I need to make enough for a double batch, I make two cakes.
Chocolate Fudge Cake
1/3 cup butter (5-1/3 tablespoons)
1 cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla
2 ounces baking chocolate, melted
1-1/4 cups flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¾ cup water
½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease 8 x 8 inch square baking pan.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Blend in vanilla and cooled chocolate.
- Add egg, beating well
- Mix together flour, soda and salt, add to creamed mixture alternately with water.
- Spread in greased pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate pieces
- Bake at 350 about 30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched in center.
- Cool in pan.