This colorful, cold vegetarian salad is from Nava Atlas' Vegetarian Express. It's a great recipe for summertime, when you don't want to heat up the kitchen. It takes less than 30 minutes to make. It's good as an everyday meal, but special enough to serve to company. My son loves it.
1 pound good-quality frozen cheese tortellini or vegetable-filled tortellini
1 cup unthawed frozen green peas
2 cups finely chopped fresh broccoli florets
10 or 12 ounce jar roasted red peppers
Juices from the roasted peppers
2 tablespoons olive oil, preferably extra-virgin
2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Begin cooking the tortellini, according to package directions.
2. Layer the frozen peas and the broccoli florets in a large saucepan with 1/2" of water. Bring them to a simmer and steam over moderate heat, covered, until the peas are thawed and the broccoli is bright green, about 3 to 4 minutes. Drain the peas and broccoli and rinse then under cool water until they are at room temperature.
3. In the meantime, drain the roasted red peppers, reserving the juices in a small mixing bowl. Cut the peppers into strips.
4. Combine the red-pepper juices with the remaining dressing ingredients and mix.
5. When the tortellini are done, drain them and rinse under cool water until they are at room temperature. Combine them in a mixing bowl with the peas, broccoli, red pepper strips, and dressing. Add the Parmesan cheese and toss well. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss again.