Sunday, November 18, 2007

English Muffin Bread

I can't remember how long I have been baking this bread. You don't have to know anything about bread baking to make it. It freezes well.

English Muffin Bread (makes 2 loaves)

6 cups unsifted flour
2 packages active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups water
1/2 cup milk
cornmeal

Combine 3 cups flour, undissolved yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Heat water and milk until very warm (120 - 130 F). Add to dry ingredients and beat well.

Stir in the remaining 3 cups flour to make a stiff batter. It will look like this:
Spoon the batter into 8-1/2" x 4-1/2" x 2-1/2" loaf pans that have been sprayed with PAM and sprinkled with cornmeal:
Sprinkle tops with cornmeal. Cover, let rise in a warm place free from draft, about 30 - 45 minutes.
Bake at 400F for 25 minutes.Remove from pans and cool.

The bread doesn't get very brown, so it may look uncooked. Slice in 1/2" slices and toast until it changes color.It is delicious plain, or with butter, or with jam. I love it with peanut butter and banana slices. My mother slices it about an inch thick and lightly toasts it in her toaster oven to eat with soup.

This bread makes terrific gifts.

I often triple the recipe and make 6 loaves at a time. The only difference is to use 3 Tablespoons of yeast instead of 6.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Henry Helton's Lady here. This looks like a really nice and simple recipe. I think I may have to try this next weekend over at my boyfriend's house. We almost every weekend make biscuits and I'm getting tired of it. Biscuits, biscuits, biscuits. I need something new. I am going to try this. Thanks!

Milton said...

I don't know what is more impressive your great cooking or your ever-so-clean oven!
---Beezer's Bean
PeeEss. Ideas for those of us with micro-tiny apartment kitchens would be welcome.

Jan Price said...

That looks yummy! I'm going to have to try this recipe.

Looks like Millie kicked you out. :)

Jan

Just Ducky said...

Mum loves muffins, she may need to try this.

DK & The Fluffies said...

It's a good thing I picked up some Romas and basil at the market this am - I think a tomato sandwich on toasted English muffin bread is in order!

Mickey's Musings said...

That is a great looking bread!!
I really like that you don't have to knead it.
This blog is a cool idea.We know you can cook,Mr Karate raves about it so often :)

Astrid (…and the kitties too) said...

Mmmmmmh we can almost smell the fresh bread!
momma says thank you as she is not a very good bread baker plus she loves cornmeal but hasn't too many recipes with it...
maybe when she is over her bread-baking-phobia she will try it *hehehe

momma also says: welcome to the world of foodbloggers ;o)

puurrs and hugs Kashim & Othello
+ momma astrid

Team Tabby said...

Going to have to try this recipe, the loaves look so good....and no kneading and only one rising, cool!

mombean

Poppy Q said...

Yummy - what a good idea for a nice winter meal. I might have to wait a few months to try it.

Love your new blog.

Parker said...

That looks yummy!

LZ said...

Not fair...I haven't missed real bread (wheat) since I saw this post. It looks like bread heaven!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I whipped this up this morning and had it for elevensies. It was super easy and came out good. Now to see how it freezes...

Jeannette in CO who has cats, quilts but doesn't write blogs