Friday, November 30, 2007

A Little Italian

Use this herb and spice mixture in pasta sauces or with braised or roasted vegetables. I use it whenever a recipe calls for "Italian Seasoning." I also add it to breadcrumbs to make my own seasoned breadcrumbs for breading chicken or pork cutlets, or in meatballs. It makes a great little gift.


A Little Italian

2 tablespoons dried basil
2 tablespoons dried marjoram
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons ground coriander
2 tablespoons dried thyme
2 tablespoons dried rosemary
2 tablespoons dried savory
1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes

The recipe says: "In the bowl of a food processor, combine all ingredients. Process for 30 seconds until finely ground." But I never do that. I just combine all ingredients and mix well. When I use this mixture, I place it in the palm of my hand and crumble it together to release the flavors.

Makes a scant cup

From the Eat More, Weigh Less cookbook, a recipe by Michael McDermott.

5 comments:

Mickey's Musings said...

Now this is nice.To make this seasoning from scratch,you know it will taste better and the flavour will be wonderful.Mmmmmmmmmmm!!

Astrid (…and the kitties too) said...

that seems to be a very nice seasoning! I like Italian seasonings very much.

Team Tabby said...

many uses, very versatile.

Anonymous said...

Try to get the Greek Oregano, the Italian kind is nothing more than wild marjoram and lacks the flavor of the Greek variety.

Hannahbelle said...

Heyy! Its me hannah! I just wanted to say that thinks for welcoming me and that i love your name. Your name is in the famous cat series, Warriors. I hope that you read the stories i wrote at www.alionheart4ever.com thanks