Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Szechwan Beef Stir-Fry


My son came over for last night before he went to his karate class. He had only a short time, so I made this quick stir-fry. It's one of those "Beef, it's what's for dinner" recipes. I found it on the back of a Good Housekeeping magazine probably 15 years ago. I make it often, and it is one of my son's favorite meals.

Szechwan Beef Stir-Fry (30 minutes)

1 lb beef flank steak
2 Tb soy sauce
4 tsp dark sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp minced ginger
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper pods
1 small red pepper, cut into 1" pieces
1 8 oz package frozen baby corn, defrosted
1/4 lb snow peas, julienned

Cut beef lengthwise into 2 strips; slice across the grain into 1/8-inch thick strips. Combine soy sauce, 2 tsp oil, sugar and cornstarch; stir into strips. Heat remaining 2 tsp oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger and pepper pods; cook 30 seconds. Add bell pepper and corn; stir fry 11/2 minutes. Add pea pods; stir fry 30 seconds. Remove vegetables from the skillet; reserve. Stir-fry beef strips (half at a time) 2 - 3 minutes. Return vegetables and snow peas to skillet and heat through.

Serve over hot cooked white rice.

Serves 4


American Beef Council

5 comments:

poppyq said...

Yum that looks sooper good. Mum says we might have to try that one soon.

DKM said...

I'm going to have to try that with tofu. Yumm!

Henry Helton said...

I am drooling. That looks really good!

Beezer said...

I'm with dkm, its great with tofu!
I use extra firm tofu cut the into about 3/4 to 1 inch cubes; leave out the sugar; and when cooking for just myself (or for kids) don't add the red pepper pods (I have a somewhat sensitive tummy); and sometimes add extra veggie like anything (steamed) left over I may have in the fridge or thinly sliced celery (same amount as red bell pepper), coz I really like celery.
keep separate from the soy sauce and corn starch and cook in just a little oil. Mix soy sauce & cornstarch add to pan, stir in reserved veggies cook for a minuet then add cooked tofu. (uncooked tofu absorbs liquid like a sponge so best left till the end) toss to make sure everything is hot.
I serve over brown rice as I like that better.
left-overs are great reheated in the office microwave for lunch the next day.
This is a good way to try tofu if you've never had it before.
---Beezer's mombean

Mickey said...

Well,that looks good!!!!
baby corn,yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!
Always nice to have quick meals.
This is a nice site,I love the pics. Plus bonus options from your readers :)
I bet a lot of drooling goes on in this blog Hahaha!!